Friday, June 8, 2012

HAIL!

The last two days we have had severe afternoon showers complete with an excess of hail. Huge hail. Ping pong ball sized and mean, mean marble sized ones. We lost everything on the right hand side of the garden! All the peas, green beans, wax beans and the watermelon starts. The garage wall sheltered the tomatoes, corn and green peppers, but only barely. I am fairly sure we will lose one of the tomatoes, it split the stalk lengthwise and is looking rather puny. The fence sheltered some of my cukes and squash, so I am happy about that. Should still get in an abundance of zucchini. *sigh*

Debating replanting.... since we are moving in about 6 weeks, I'm just not sure if it's worth it. Plus the forecast is calling for more storms late next week. I may just spread hay over a large potion of the ruined area and let it mulch for next year. That way Al has better soil to work with. Really need to put in a screen arbor or something for the hail... if we were staying here I would look into the cost of building one, it can't be too much for such a small space, but we aren't. I'll suggest it to Al and he can decide. He will have all winter to prepare it that way.

I'm still very upset about it all, but I am also learning things I will need to know for when I try to do this on a larger scale. The next two years I think I want to try to provide enough to get my family through and not have to grocery shop for produce.. then I really want to think about starting a local CSA (Community Supported Agriculture.) I have so much in my head that I want to implement and put out there right away, but I know it's smarter to wait. Especially if I want to add nice things to my CSA shares, like local honey or eggs, to set me apart from other farmers in the area. Then, of course, there is the matter of having enough land to grow for a CSA. At least 2 acres of dedicated farmland... plus whatever land I need for my personal use meat and dairy goats, the chickens and all the rest! *huge sigh*

It's a dream right now, but I'm going to push through and make it happen... !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment