Friday, August 12, 2011

Anything will do...

At this point I think I would settle for just a regular house with a large yard. I'm so tired of being a homesteader wannabe in an apartment the size of a postage stamp! Yes, I bake and compost and wash clothes in the bathtub to save water (and quarters)... but it's not where I want to be. I want a garden, which I can't even do in pots here because we're on the basement level and get no light to speak of. Great for sleeping in, not great for plants. Could I do a sun light, sure, but the cats would ruin any sprouts within a week and where would I put them? A grow light and shelf to place plants on takes up room... and space is something we are very short on here. Plus I do want bees, someday. A small hive for pollinating and honey.

I want chickens, even if it's just two laying hens in the backyard instead of the small flock of ten and a rooster I had dreamed of. You can't have those in an apartment... no way, no how! *laugh* Apartment chickens. I suppose I could raise meat rabbits in the apartment, but what about butchering? The kitchen has no room and I think the neighbors would cry animal abuse if I tried to do it out on the front lawn! And don't even get me started on dairy goats. Even if we just have a house with a large yard I doubt I'll be able to have a goat. Plus you really need two to keep them happy... and what about the kids (baby goats for you city types)? It's all so much, and yet never enough.

I know it isn't that I want too much, there are many, many people out there who have this or more and they managed. I also don't feel I want too much too soon. I know it will take three years or more to have my dream fully come to light. I just want to be able to start making it happen now.

It's just very frustrating not to have the things I envision come to life. I know, objectively, they will come in time. I'm just impatient and want the time to be now. Ah, well... you can't force time.

No comments:

Post a Comment