Monday, August 22, 2011

Ham and Corn Chowder

It's Monday again. Barnhop Day! I love sharing recipes on Mondays, so today I thought I'd share one for ham and corn chowder. It's made in a slow cooker, so you can set it and forget it about 6 hours before you need to serve it up. I love slow cookers, they make my life so much easier.

This recipe is one I always use a day or two after we have a ham. I just use the leftover ham in it. You don't have to do that though, you can just get a small ham and chop it up to get the same results. I did not make up this recipe, though I alter it on occasion. I don't remember where I found it, but I do know it was on the internet somewhere. Maybe All Recipes.com?

(Picture copyright Cyber Kitchen)
Ingredients:
  • 2 cans condensed potato soup
  • 1 can condensed celery soup
  • 2 cups ham (chunked up)
  • 1 cup onion
  • 1 or 2 cups corn, depending on how much you like it, or if you need to add some bulk
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • black pepper
  • 1 cup milk, or light cream if you want it thicker and don't care about calories! *grin*

Combine everything EXCEPT the milk/cream in a slow cooker, mix up into a soupy consistency and then cover and cook on low for about 6 hours. Then you can add your milk or cream, mix in gently, let cook an additional 30 minutes (or until hot) and serve it up. I love it with fresh cornbread and a salad. Makes a pretty hearty meal.

You could probably add cubed potato and chopped celery fresh as well. I sometimes throw in a potato because I find the condensed soup doesn't have enough chunks. My family likes chunky soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment