Saturday, August 6, 2011

Practice Pie

So I have never made a pie before. Ever, never in my whole 29 years... well, 30 next month *sigh*. Today I decided that needed to change. Next week I have a PTA meeting and the week after that Bastian starts school and I want to have something to bring to potlucks and luncheons. I do a fabulous fudge at Christmas time each year, but I wanted to broaden my horizons. So I decided on pie. Pie is good, everyone likes pie.

Apple seemed like the easiest, or maybe just the most popular? I bought apples at the store, so apple pie it would be. Besides, I had a recipe. I love Jenna, at Cold Antler Farm , I've been reading her blog from the beginning and I came across a recipe for Idaho Apple Pie. Well, that pretty much sealed the deal. I had to bake it. Out comes my bowl and knife... lets get cooking! Except I didn't own a pie pan, nor did I have any cinnamon in the house. Hrmmm... back to the grocery. Pie pan in hand I felt much more secure. I could do this. People make pie all the time.

Well, after mixing and kneading and folding and mixing some more I turned out what I feel is a lumpy but respectable looking pie. Of course I have to now bake it. Crud. This is where I get nervous, I'm certain it will crisp and burn, or fall apart, or collapse in on itself like that souffle' I tried that one time, what a disaster. Into the oven it went.... you be the judge. The before and the after:




It's still hideously lumpy and a bit ugly.... you can't see the leaves I made very well. Eh... still feels great to accomplish something new.

Now to wait till my husband gets home. He's the ultimate tasting guru. If it's good enough for him I can make a prettier one and serve it to anyone! Practice makes perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment