Thursday, August 18, 2011

Modern Technology... and how much it sucks!

My internet has been rather shoddy lately. The technician came out yesterday and informed me that they installed the wrong modem for our area and it was too slow to read the signal correctly. He fiddled with it and it seemed to work better. He told me if it slowed again or quit seeming to work I should call again and they would replace it. Well, if you know it's likely to break down again why not just replace the stupid thing this visit? Yeah, well... needless to say it's slowed again, and will likely poop out in the next few days. It takes forever to get these people to fix things. I guess that's more human error than machine, since they installed it wrong though. Still....

I wish the internet weren't so necessary. If it weren't I certainly wouldn't have it. It's how I keep in touch with most my family and almost all of my friends, so it's a necessary evil. We did manage to ditch television, well... cable anyway. No reason to have 2000 channels if you only ever watched it a few nights a week. I do miss Animal Planet, but I have learned to live without! *laugh* Besides the internet streams most shows or I can download them if I really feel the need to watch it. Of course, streaming is hard when the modem is shoddy... *glares at the mass of metal and wires*

1 comment:

  1. Hey I know how you feel. If the guy has acknowledged it's the wrong modem then duh.. the solution is to replace it, not hope it works out. He was just being lazy. Oh, and btw.. I sometimes hate cable as well. I love that we have netflix, but it's funny. I think sometimes people get addicted to the "live" television. Example: Netflix streaming has most of the South Park episodes.. even if an older one is on TV, Vincent would still prefer to watch that episode over the "non-commercial" netflix version.. maybe because knowing that other people are watching all the commercials makes you feel more 'in' with the rest of the universe? ::shurgs::

    ReplyDelete