Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Apartment Composting

I started a compost bin in my kitchen about a week back. I had to with all those corn husks! I couldn't just toss them out. It's small, but that's the best way to start. Especially if you are unsure of how it will pan out!

I just bought a $5 rubbermaid bin from Walmart and some potting soil to get it started. Placed the potting soil in the bottom, layered a good amount of shredded newspaper in it, gave it a liberal spritzing to make it a bit damp (not soggy!) and then chucked in my husks and also some eggshells, crushed up. Placed the lid on top and shook vigourously. That part was fun. I shake it e very other day and anytime I add something. I'm being picky about my adds though since it is small and in an enclosed space. Not eager to have a smell, you know.

I'm pretty excited about it all in all. Can't wait for time to pass and that rich dark gold emerge from what I would have thrown out a few years ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment