Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Chickens!

So I read at Dicky Birds Nest yesterday that September is National Chicken Month. What a wierd thing to celebrate, but as I LOVE chickens I am certainly not complaining. I thought I would take the opportunity to write about the chickens I one day want to have on my future farm.




This is a Dark Brahma. Isn't it gorgeous. I love the feathered feeties. The male is on the left, the female on the right. I also like the lacing on the female, very couture. *laugh*



The Brahma is an outstanding breed. They are thought to have originally been raised in India as meat birds, but they are also very decent layers and setters. I love that they are dual purpose. I also love that they do well in a cold climate, as it is pretty chilly here in the mountains of Colorado at least half the year. They are reported to have an excellent temperament, which to me means less pecking at your hands when you go to retrieve the treasures they hide!

They lay brown eggs, which I also love. Not because white eggs are worse, I just like the look of brown eggs. It says "Farm" to me rather than "Store." When they reach butchering age they can be between 8 and 10 pounds depending on sex, so it is a decent size for cooking with. At least as big as the ones you would buy at the store, once plucked, and in some cases bigger. All the chickens I've ever bought at the store whole were only ever about 5 pounders. They are slower to mature than most breeds which is why they are not a commercial breed.

Brahmas in general also make great show birds. They are very large and generally gentle, making them excellent show prospects. The patterning and lacing on some of the Brahma breeds, such as the dark and golden, also make them popular for the showroom as well. For those who want chickens in the backyard but don't have much room the Brahma also comes in a bantam breed. Which for you non chicken people means miniature breed, sort of. I want the full sized ones though. Not enough meat on a bantam! *laugh*

Overall I love these chickens. I love all chickens, honestly, but I do have my favorites. I think a mixed flock of Brahmas would look awful nice on my front lawn. Though I want the majority to be dark, I am also fond of the white and the buffs.

Hooray for chickens. Happy Chicken Month everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link from your blog. When you are ready for some chickens...I could always send you some.... :) I always have extras. Brahamas are a good breed. My flock has become rather a "mixed" lot. Some Brahama in there though...I also love the feather legged breeds and am partial to Silkies (not good mamas or layers, but they make up for that in cuteness (sp?). Blessings from Wisconsin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool...we are getting seven more this November...have my order in...but now reading your post, I have no idea what kind I will have.

    Great photos as well.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete