Monday, September 26, 2011

Some Cute and Some Culinary

The cute: While putting on his socks this morning my 5 year old became frusterated. "I can't get them on all the way!" he told me. "You can do it." I said in reply. "No, I can't." said he, "I can only make them into foot puppets!" (I laughed so hard.) They really did look like foot puppets dangling half on his feet like they were. Ah, good morning for a Monday.

The Culinary: Today I thought I would share my crock pot Chicken and 'Shrooms recipe. This can be made in the oven as well, but the chicken will fall apart practically melting in the crock pot. The oven method requires a different serving technique.



Ingredients:
1 lb boneless chicken
1 can cream of mushroom
1 can Golden Mushroom soup
1/2 cup water
Onions, chopped well. (optional)
8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced (I sometimes use lots more if I have room. We like mushrooms here.)
Salt & pepper



Make it up:
-Note: Oven method is in parenthesis.-
Place the chicken in the crock pot. (Or in a casserole dish for the oven method.)
Add soups and water then stir. (Layer mixed water, mushrooms, onions and soups over chicken.)
Top with the onions and mushrooms. ( You already added these in step 2.)
Cover and cook on Low for 4-7 hours. (Place in 350* oven for 45 minutes.)
Taste and season. (Taste and season.)
Shred the chicken vigorously with a couple forks. (No shredding with oven method.)
Serve over noodles of some sort. (Serve beside noodles of some sort, layer sauce over noodles and chicken. Or use no noodles and just serve chicken and sauce.)

The oven method doesn't vary too much, but you don't get the shredded, melt apart chicken. This is very good over egg noodles, but we have had it over spaghetti before as a kind of fake alfredo. I don't make it too often, but maybe once a month... especially if it is cooler outside.

2 comments:

  1. I make a similar version of this but yours looks fabulous! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks absolutely wonderful...will be making that for sure. But will probably leave out some of the mushrooms as most of our family does not like mushrooms.

    Connie

    ReplyDelete