Monday, September 19, 2011

Monday - Barn Hop Day!

A little late from the gate this Monday. I don't know why, I had all day to post. At any rate today I want to share my No Bake Recipe. I love these cookies, they are quick and easy to make. The texture is great and they pack well in lunches or for snacks. I love to use them when we go hiking because they pack a goodly amount into a tiny package. Peanut butter, oats and chocolate....

No Bakes

Ingredients
  • 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 3 cups quick cooking oats
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter (can be crunchy if you prefer)
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract 
 Heat cocoa, sugar, milk and butter over medium heat. Bring it to a boil slowly, don't rush it by turning it to high.  Boil for 2 minutes then remove from heat.
 Add oats, peanut butter and vanilla with a big wooden spoon (wooden works best, though I have used plastic in the past.) Once mixed thoroughly drop by large spoonful onto wax paper. I have in the past just poured the mix into a glass casserole dish and sliced it into bars once half cooled, but you have to remove them before they set all the way or they are hard to get out. Perhaps you could line the dish with wax paper and that would do it. 

My family loves these, though I do not make them too often. They are practically pure sugar. I wonder if you could substitute organics and have it turn out better. Organic PB would have less sugar if it's all natural.


2 comments:

  1. Ooh. These do look good, real good. I am going to have to whip up a batch myself. I love that they are no bake and contain so few ingredients. Organics would be nice too. Maybe even a bit of honey or maple syrup in place of some of the sugar; I don't know, but they sure look tasty as is. Thanks for sharing. Have a GREAT week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look awesome. I am always on the look-out for recipes that will pack easy for my kids lunches...and I think this is going to be one of them.

    Thank you for the recipe.

    Connie

    ReplyDelete