Monday, November 14, 2011

JackApple Cake

I made this last week and posted a picture of the finished cake. I thought I'd post the recipe now, and the cake again, for those who wanted to try it. It came out thick and sticky for me, very dense but good. If I were to make it again I would add much more apple,maybe in bigger chunks as well. I diced them pretty small.

Jackapple cake
(from Jenna at ColdAntler Farm)

3 large farm eggs
2 ¾ cup flour
3 large apples (Not Red Delicious!)
¼ cup fresh press cider
2 cups sugar
¼ cup honey, heated
1 stick butter (half melted)
Cinnamon
1 ¾ cup vegetable oil
Tablespoon vanilla extract
Tablespoon baking powder

Peel and dice apples and place in a large bowl with 1 ½ cups sugar (set aside other half cup for topping), sprinkle over them a light coating of cinnamon, and mix into a cobbler, then dribble warm honey over and mix that in as well. Set in fridge for 2 hours to let cure. (Do not skip this step.)

When apples are cured, add all wet ingredients (half melted stick off butter, eggs, oil, extract) and mix with large wooden spoon.

Add in tablespoon baking powder.

Add flour half a cup at a time and stir in batter more than you think you need too. Batter will seem wet and yellow. Good.

Pour into greased cake pan.

Now melt other half stick of butter, add to it the sugar and some cinnamon and mix them into a wet paste. Drizzle over the batter, spreading it if you can, making a sugar crust to bake into the cake.

Bake at 350 degrees 30-40 minutes. Check after 27, when knife comes out clean it’s done.

I made a basic buttercream icing to go on top. It was very sweet as well, but I think it paired nicely overall.

3 comments:

  1. This looks really good! I love anything with apples in it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna make this today. I have a box of apples to use yet. It looks really good. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete