Monday, November 7, 2011

Pretzel Rolls

I love pretzels. I love mall pretzels, stick pretzels, mini pretzels, sourdough pretzels, pretty much any pretzel you can think of except the jalapeno kind. I can't have those and wouldn't want to anyway. I have shared my mall pretzel recipe in the past, but I'm always on the hunt for new deliciousness. Therefore, when I stumbled onto Bob Vivant's page the other day I knew I would have to make and then share this recipe for pretzel rolls. She whipped hers up for a party her friend was throwing to use for burgers, but I made mine smaller. A little larger than doughnut holes, for easy snacking and dipping. Bob has an amazing blog page with some amazing recipes. All sorts of cakes and desserts and ... general yumminesses!

Since it is Barn Hop day I will share the recipe. Mondays are the best!

Add caption

 Mini Pretzel Rolls

Ingredients

4 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/4 teaspoons instant dry yeast (or one 0.25oz packet)
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 1/3 cups warm water
2 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 quarts water
1/2 cup baking soda
coarse sea salt

Preparation

  1. Combine the flour, yeast, and brown sugar in the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with a dough hook. In a small bowl stir together the warm water, milk, and melted butter.
  2. Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Mix on low speed for 3 minutes once the ingredients have come together in a ball. The dough should be soft and pliable and not sticky. Add more flour or water as needed. (You can make the dough without a mixer. Once the dough comes together, transfer it to a floured board and knead for 5-7 minutes, until smooth and elastic.)
  3. Using a scale, portion the dough into even pieces and set them on a floured board. A 2.5 ounce portion works for a traditional burger bun. For sliders you’ll want 1.25-1.5 ounce dough ball. Cover dough with oiled plastic wrap and let rest for 10 minutes. ( I didn't do this weighing thing, I just eyeballed and portioned. I would do this, though if I were trying to make uniform sized rolls.)
  4. Shape the dough balls into rolls. Arrange them on a lightly floured surface 1-inch apart and cover with oiled plastic wrap. Let the rolls rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
  5. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicon baking mats.
  6. In a large stockpot, bring the cold water and baking soda to a rolling boil.
  7. Drop the rolls into the boiling water 2 at a time. Boil for 20 seconds total, turning once. Carefully remove with a slotted spoon and place on the prepared baking sheets. Sprinkle lightly with the coarse salt. Repeat with the remaining rolls.
  8. Make a ½-inch deep slash across the top of each roll with a small, sharp knife. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the tops are the color of dark caramel (or, uhm, until they look like pretzels). Shift pans from top to bottom and back to front halfway through for even baking.
  9. Let rolls cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, and then transfer to a wire rack.

3 comments:

  1. These look great! Can't wait to try making them with my 4 yr, she LOVES soft pretzels! :)

    Have a Blessed day!
    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I have a house full of pretzel lovers ~ these will be a hit!

    ReplyDelete