Monday, October 17, 2011

Thin Mints...

Most of my Barnhop Monday posts are recipes. I find this draws the most outside readers because people love to learn new things. I love to have new readers, so it is a win win!

Lately my recipes have been of the "commercial things you can do yourself" variety. This week is no different. I want to show everyone how to make Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies... at home.

Thin mints are by far my favorite of all the cookies. I also enjoy most the other flavors (except the lemon ones, blech!) but the little green box is highest on my list. I usually line my freezer with them once a year. They are also best frozen!

To make a batch at home that is almost the real thing try this:

Ingredients

Cocoa Wafer Cookies
3 T. butter
1 egg white
1/4 c. brown sugar
pinch of Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. cocoa powder
1/2 c. flour (plus 1/4 c.)
2 drops pure peppermint oil

Combine all ingredients together. Add flour as needed, until dough is roll-able and not sticky at all. Roll verrrry thin. Cut into desired shapes. Bake at 325 for 4-7 minutes, or until cookies have firmed and browned slightly around edges. Remove from oven and cool.

*

Peppermint Buttercream Layer
2 c. powdered sugar
4 T. melted butter
2-3 drops pure peppermint oil
1/2 tsp. heavy whipping cream

Mix together until it becomes thick and easy to roll with a rolling pin. Roll until about 1/4″ thick. Cut into desired shape. Place atop cooled cookies.

Chocolate!

 Place cookies into melted chocolate (Candiquik is very easy and good here, but melted chips made in a double boiler -bowl over boiling water- would work), spoon chocolate atop until fully covered. Fish out with fork or tongs, carefully! Allow to dry on rack placed above a piece of parchment paper (rack not necessary, but does make cookie bottoms prettier. Makes about 30 cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment