Sunday, October 9, 2011

Things I One Day Wish To Have - Ep. 02

So the last featured item was a cream separator. This time around I think I wish to highlight the grain mill.

This is the Diamant Grain Mill. It is Lehman's best rated grain mill and labled "the best" hey have ever tested. Of course at $1,300 it had better be. I will likely have to settle for a partially plastic one instead of the all cast iron one like this beauty... still ...

Some of the features of this grain mill (not all can do these things) are:
  • 8 cup hopper. Very large.
  • Pre-grinding teeth to mash the grain before it hits the auger. This allows for a more even grind.
  • Extra large burrs for finer grind. Allowing for flour as fine as that bought in stores.
  • Faster grinding than other mills. (20% faster)
  • Grinds anything! Beans, corn, grains. Even spices, nuts and seeds. Except peanuts, but that's not a thing I would want to run through a grain mill anyhow. 
  • Built, of course, to last forever.

My favorite part is that it's a hand crank, of course. Though it has a groove in the wheel to place a belt if you have a motor.

There is another mill I would consider. It's the German-made Food Mill (also featured in Lehman's). I do not like the fact that it's mostly plastic, but it has more attachments. Cereal, flour, vegetable (slice and dice), and meat. Now I would rather have a separate meat grinder of cast iron... but for $400 for all four options it's really a great deal. And it's also hand crank.

Overall I would prefer to have the Diamant, of course! Still... for budget homesteaders the German-made is a good multi-tool.

Next time I think I'll talk about a good meat grinder!

No comments:

Post a Comment