Sunday, October 16, 2011

Waste Not

I like to reuse everything. Compost when I can, horde leftovers, feed the dog scraps of fat or offal. There are many little things that I can manage even in my current apartment setting. One of my favorite tricks is to use an ice cube tray and freeze the juice from canned fruits. The resulting cubes can be used in tea or water later to sweeten it.

I also use the water from canned vegetables in recipes in place of some of the water that may be called for. If your stew needs water and you are adding canned corn anyway, just measure out the liquid and adjust accordingly. This isn't always the case, and I don't freeze veggie water for later use, but for the most part it makes me feel I'm using more. It really only amounts to a quarter cup per can, so some may not feel it worth the effort.

1 comment:

  1. That's an awesome idea bout the juice.. I never thought about it.. but will try! I don't like waste either!

    ReplyDelete