Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Things I One Day Wish To Have - Ep. 03

A Meat Grinder! Yes, I know, for some it isn't practical. For most, buying ground at the store is great. For me... well, I plan on processing a lot of my own meat (rabbit, goat, chicken, game, etc.) and making sausage. So a meat grinder is essential.

My featured meat grinder comes, of course, from the Lehman's catalog. The Chop Rite Clamp-down Grinder.This grinder is ideal for home use on a regular basis. So it can take a bit of a beating and still come out on top. Lehman's also has a bolt down version, but I don't know that I would have the space to put one in permanently, so clamp is good enough for me. Plus a good $100 cheaper. Overall a good grinder will likely run anywhere from $100 to $300 depending. This one is $109 as of today in the catalog online. They do have a stainless steel version for $79 for those on a budget, but I prefer to spend the extra to get the cast iron model.

Isn't it pretty! Now this one only comes with one grinding plate, but you can order 3 others in varying sizes, as well as a sausage stuffing horn and (for those who are interested) a pulley belt attachment for automation purposes. It also comes in a mini model. The mini model processes 1 lb at a time, whereas the small model will handle 3 lbs.




2 comments:

  1. Keep checking the thrift stores or ebay you I'm sure you will find a used one cheaper. Those cast ones last a lifetime - and the older models are sometimes made better. Blessings from Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes...me too:-) Keep watch on Craigslist as well.

    ReplyDelete